Saturday, July 14, 2012

A Not so Clever Scammer

 It's routine for anybody with a desirable domain to get offers from "startups" and "charities" that really "need the domain" for the starving orphans but clearly "cannot afford to pay much". Nothing new here.

But today I got one that was so clumsy and inept it made me laugh out loud, and I just wanted to share.

The domain in question is AgriculturaOrganica dot com. It's spanish for "organic agriculture". Now I haven't seriously appraised this domain yet myself; but, given the quantity of organic produce in supermarkets, consumers' interest in eating healthy, and the number of Spanish-speaking countries worldwide with sizable chunks of their economies devoted to agriculture ... I imagine this domain is worth something.

Well, I've had my $10 offers, my $30 offers, and today I got a really generous $130. But what kills me is the justification:

"we are free charity to help patients in spain with various illness eg cancer"

Even if this scammer might imagine me believing the charity nonsense, what on earth does the spanish equivalent of OrganicAgriculture.com have to do with cancer treatment? Surely the owner of a domain can at least be assumed to know the meaning of the domain he owns!

I don't really mind the scam lowball offers, since they often turn into legitimate win-win transactions later on. No, I don't even mind this one. I'm not complaining; I'm celebrating the ridiculousness.

No comments:

Post a Comment